[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: netsaint-plugins-1.2.9-4.rpm dependancy breaks on RH 7.2

Terje Bless link at pobox.com
Wed Apr 3 03:10:05 CEST 2002

Subhendu Ghosh <sghosh at sghosh.org> wrote:

>Plugin development in nagiosplug is starting to happen offline.

Why offline?

>Part of the current task has been to standardize all the plugin
>arguments, return codes, and develop a commands.cfg that shows
>examples of usage. I am still testing some of embedded perl issues for
>the plugins.  We are also looking at deprecating the old positional
>arg processing which will involve changes to existing installations if
>they have to already migrated.

Great!

>I'm not sure what the rpm policy is in terms of updating - I use the
>tarballs ;) but openssl 0.9.6c is already out as a major release.
>
>I, for one, am not one to update rpm distributions unless we have a new
>release.

I assume Red Hat 7.2 is a pretty big chunk of the installed base out there.
Making sure there is something usable until Nagios 1.0 comes out should be
a good investment.

Especially since this problem causes check_http to report a false negative!
It shows your web site as up, and doesn't page anyone, while your customers
are meeting a "500 Internal Server Error" or somesuch. That's a very very
bad failure mode!

>Expect to see some commits to nagiosplug RSN ;)

Cool! I'm looking forward to it. With any kind of luck I should be able to
contribute some code towards the Perl plugins.

--
"I don't want to learn to manage my anger;
 I want to FRANCHISE it!" -- Kevin Martin