[Nagiosplug-devel] check_dns problem

Jeremy T. Bouse Jeremy.Bouse at UnderGrid.net
Tue Dec 10 10:44:05 CET 2002

	The other problem I've found with check_dns is because of it's
dependency on the nslookup command. As of BIND9 the use of nslookup is
deprecated in favor of using host or dig... As I'm working to make the
plugins work for IPv4 and IPv6 and be AF-independent I've noticed that
BIND8's nslookup doesn't even know what to do if you give it an IPv6
address (ie- 3ffe:501:4819:2000:210:f3ff:fe03:4d0 ) and BIND9's will
return a SERVFAIL as it tries to lookup using bitstring notation with
the ip6.arpa TLD rather than nibble notation...

	I will note that I do have check_dns working fine if you give
it IPv6 DNS server to query against for an IPv4 host or address... Just
something anyone wanting to spend time working on the check_dns plugin
should prolly be aware of for compatibility and portability...

	Jeremy