[Nagiosplug-devel] DAC plugin idea

Rob Enders renders at cknxradio.com
Thu Dec 12 11:08:05 CET 2002

Hi everyone.. I have had great success using the joystick button plugin that
I created a couple of years ago using a standard joystick port and a couple
of utilities. http://www.netsaint.org/docs/hacks/joyd.php

Lately, I am finding that I need more than the 8 inputs available on two
game ports. I have been looking around for hardware/software that would
permit significantly more inputs and perhaps even some digital outputs or
some analog inputs/outputs.

I have come up with the following that is not tooooo expensive, under
$200Canadian. Velleman has a electronics kit called the K8000 which is an
i2c interface to 16 digital inputs/outputs, 8 analog 8 bit outputs, 1 analog
16bit output and 4 analog 16 bit inputs. One can add up to 3 more cards.
These kits are available at most electronic kits sources, ie. Jameco. Keep
in mind that assembly is required. There appears to be quite a bit of Linux
support for this hardware.  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/k8000. In
addition, I have found some GPL software called KEL - K8000 Event Language
and is found at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/2oo2/.

I hope to implement this as a standalone system that will work as a passive
service check with Nagios.

Am have trouble with a segmentation fault when testing on Redhat 7.0 but I
remain optimistic that this will work as I hope.

I encourage anyone interested to check out the links and let us know via
this list on how you are making out..

Thanks

Rob Enders
CKNX Radio