[Nagiosplug-devel] Default time-out of plugins.

Jan David jan.david.jd at belgium.agfa.com
Fri Oct 18 08:18:04 CEST 2002

Hi All,

I've been working on a set of Oracle plugins which verify if a tablespace still has enough freespace left,
 space left for a nextexent and maxexent. In case of a problem, a service_event_handler writes a comment
to the comment file stating the tablespace(s) that are in trouble.

This usually works fine but a couple of times a day I get a timeout related to these services. If a database is
 really busy, some of the checks can last several minutes. This is fine because I only run the check every hour or
so. Unfortunately I can't get rid of the timeouts.

To be fair, I'm still using netsaint 0.0.7+nrpe, but I assume the timeout code hasn't changed in Nagios.

First I changed the following settings in netsaint.cfg:

# TIMEOUT VALUES
# These options control how much time NetSaint will allow various
# types of commands to execute before killing them off.  Options
# are available for controlling maximum time allotted for
# service checks, host checks, event handlers, notifications, the
# ocsp command, and performance data commands.  All values are in
# seconds.

service_check_timeout=1800
host_check_timeout=120
event_handler_timeout=120
notification_timeout=120
ocsp_timeout=5
perfdata_timeout=5

This didn't change anything. Next I changed the default timeout of nrpe and recompiled it. This too didn't help.
Finally, I resulted in changing the following constant in the netsaint.h header file:

#define DEFAULT_SERVICE_CHECK_TIMEOUT  300

After re-compiling, this finally seems to help. This was previously set to 60 seconds (which was exactly the timeout of my scripts).

My question is: what are those TIMEOUT values for in netsaint.cfg, since they clearly do not change the default behaviour of the service and host
timeouts.

Regards,

J. David