[Nagiosplug-devel] Spaces in arguments?

John Sellens jsellens at generalconcepts.com
Tue Sep 3 08:02:03 CEST 2002

| From: Volker.Aust at premiere.de
|
| I have notice this only when Nagios is compiled with embedded perl. Without
| embedded perl Nagios calls a shell which is calling the plugin. And the
| shell does pay attention to single or double quotes. With embedded perl
| Nagos calls the plugin directly and does not pay attention to single or
| double quotes.

Ah - quite right.

And just to add to this, this is true only if it uses the embedded
perl interpreter for the plugin, which happens if the first 80
characters of the plugin executable contain the string "/bin/perl".

I think you could force nagios to not use the embedded perl interpreter
for a particular command with a command definition something like (my
perl command line knowledge is a little rusty):

    command_line /usr/local/bin/perl -- $USER1$/my_plugin -C '$ARG1$' -T $ARG2$

It would likely be a little slower though.

| From: Subhendu Ghosh <sghosh at sghosh.org>
|
| Put the quotes on the service definition  - NOT the command definition.

I think the quotes might be better in the command definition, because
then you likely won't see quotes showing up in the service displays
in the web interface(?).

Cheers

John
jsellens at generalconcepts.com