[Nagiosplug-devel] New plugins, autoconf & pre-built binaries

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Tue Apr 1 16:34:34 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 17:45, Ton Voon wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 11:19  pm, Karl DeBisschop wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 09:26, Jeremy T. Bouse wrote:
> >> 	What about doing it like check_tcp and family? Let the plugin
> >> determine
> >> what check it is doing by the name of the executable... Just create
> >> symlinks so
> >> a symlink check_procs_vsz would be the VSZ check...
> >
> > I think it is more powerful to have one check_procs that can run any
> > number of filters.
> >
> > So you can have checks like 'warn if more than one of Joe Dbadmin procs
> > has a vsz exceeding a limit'
> >
> > Or whatever combination suits the needs of the install.
> >
> > Actually, in implementing all the checks al a series of filters, it
> > woul
> > be nice to be able to specify both AND and OR.
> >
> > The check_vsz is just a special case in this framework.
> >
> Good idea re: AND and OR option in filters.
>
> I see where you are going with this (run a huge ps command and then run
> a db-like query on results), but what would the syntax look like?

I dn't really know, but I do think getting the syntax 'right' may be
fully as hard as the coding.

I have in mind right now a syntax sort of like POSIC 'test'

check_procs --test (VSZ -gt 100 -o SIZE -gt 100) -a STATE -eq Z -a UID
-eq 500 -w 5: -c 10:

But that's only what comes to mind at the moment. I suspect there are
better solutions that I'm not imaginative enough to think of.

--
Karl