[Nagiosplug-devel] New souped-up check_procs

Ton Voon tonvoon at mac.com
Mon Apr 7 16:49:07 CEST 2003

I've finally updated check_procs so that it does vsz, rss and cpu
checks. It works well as it currently is, although there is a plan to
enhance the filter options so you can do SQL-like queries.

You can use a --metric option so that the metric returned is either
number of processes, vsz, rss or cpu. Should be easy to add any other
metrics in future. I've removed check_vsz. I've added in some examples
in --help to explain some common usages.

A potential problem is that I've had to guess a lot of the ps options
in configure.in. I've tested it on:

Linux 2.4 (Redhat 7.3 x86) - ok
Linux 2.4 (Debian 2.2 x86) - ok
Linux 2.2 (Debian 3.0 Alpha) - error about Unknown HZ value, but looks
like a system problem
Linux 2.4 (Debian 3.0 Sparc) - ok
Solaris 8 (Sparc) - ok
Mac OS 10.2 - ok

If you can try out on any other OS, that would be great.

Finally, used -v for verbose and can specify multiple -v for extra
verbosity. I've gone with the philosophy of:
verbose level 0 - minimal output (eg thresholds and summary)
verbose level 1 - extra output, only one line for Nagios (eg list
processes that fail)
verbose level 2 - config debug output (eg ps command used)
verbose level 3 - loads of debug

Let me know if you think there needs to be extra categories.