[Nagiosplug-devel] Compiling plugins

Earl C. Ruby III earl at switchmanagement.com
Thu Apr 24 10:39:14 CEST 2003

I checked out the latest nagiosplug source from the SourceForge CVS repository
and got this:

# aclocal -I lib
# autoconf
# autoheader
autoheader: `plugins/config.h.in' is created
# automake
configure.in: required file `./install-sh' not found
configure.in: required file `./mkinstalldirs' not found
configure.in: required file `./missing' not found
configure.in:14: required file `./config.guess' not found
configure.in:14: required file `./config.sub' not found
lib/Makefile.am: required file `./depcomp' not found

Are these files supposed to be created by autoconf/automake or are they
supposed to be in the CVS repository? The files "install-sh",
"mkinstalldirs", and "missing" are in the old source file
nagios-plugins-1.3.0.tar.gz, but they're not in the CVS repository.

The other three files are nowhere to be found.

For developers who are compiling the plugins on their own machines from the
CVS source tree, how do you do it? What versions of autoconf/automake are you
using, and did you have to create other files that aren't in CVS in order to
compile the nagiosplug code?

As you can probably tell, I'm not that familiar with automake. Most of my
programming in recent years has been in Perl/Oracle. I'll start digging into
the automake docs today, since my employer has the enlightened attitude that
we only use Open Source tools, and if I need to contribute time to Open
Source projects in order to get my job here done I can do that.

FWIW, I'm using Linux (SuSE 8.1 Pro distribution) with autoconf 2.53, automake
1.6.3, and gcc 3.2.

--
Earl C. Ruby III <earl at switchmanagement.com>
Senior System Engineer / Developer