[Nagiosplug-devel] regarding RRD, MRTG, xpdfile_update_service_performance_data

BOLLENGIER Eric ebollengier at sigma.fr
Thu Apr 24 23:24:04 CEST 2003

Hi,

> I wanted to use --with-file-perfdata to log, and have a process load the data from
> the file every say 10 minutes, and then roll/delete the file.  If the file is never closed
> than it is impossible to roll the file without restarting nagios.

You can do something like
[root at nagios log]# > srvperf.log

or on perl planet

    open(FP, ">$log") ;
    close(FP) ;

> I don't think it's for performance, especially considering that checks are done by forks and
> adding one more 2-3 more function calls should be pretty modest.

Hier, i don't agree with you... if you have 2000 services...

> Is there a better way?  maybe this should be part of the plugin? after all RTT and loss are
> specific to that one plugin.  Though now that I think about it RTT is really a function of
> every network plugin, just not may of them take advantage of it.

I have a perl script which read nagios cfg, get
xpdfile_service_perfdata_file and generate rrd command
(use | var=val and support nsclient check_disk and check_cpu)

> anybody working on adding RRD support to nagios?  seems like a pretty useful data to have
> and keep since it can directly pinpoint networking/systems problems.

Regards