[Nagiosplug-devel] check_dns.c: Requires DNS server (patch)

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy+nagios at UnderGrid.net
Wed Feb 5 06:22:08 CET 2003

On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 11:20:52PM -0500, Karl DeBisschop wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 21:01, Steve Bonds wrote:
> > I hate it when I do that.  ;-)
> >
> > It's REALLY attached this time.
> >
> >   -- Steve
> >
> > On Tue, 4 Feb 2003, Subhendu Ghosh sghosh-at-sghosh.org |Nagios| wrote:
> >

> > > attached patch??? ;)

> Thanks for the report. My response to the origianl report was to really
> allow operation without specifying a dns server.
>
> Unless there is an objection, I'd prefer to commit that fix, once I've
> tested it.

	I would concur Karl... I think it would be best to have the
default behavior be to use the systems default server settings if none
is provided rather than require the server be specified... One situation
I could see here is you have multiple DNS servers (you are a good
network operator and run your primary and secondary on seperate machines
right?), if you specify only one and it goes down DNS could still be
available but not from that server and would thus give you a false
impression of the network... I actually have 6 seperate DNS servers on 2
networks consisting of 3 physical locations...

	Jeremy