[Nagiosplug-devel] Error in spec file

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Sun Jun 15 16:50:07 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 06:03, Brian Ipsen wrote:
> Hi!
>
>  I think there's an error in the spec file for the plugins (used to build
> RPM's)
>
> Building the RPMs is no problem - but the installation is.
> After the installation, the plugins are located in
>
> /usr/lib/nagios/plugins
>
> This is not a problem - the problem is the permissions on the directory
> /usr/lib/nagios
>
> drwx------    3 root     root         4096 Jun 15 00:37 nagios
>
> This should be set (at least) as
>
> drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root         4096 Jun 15 00:37 nagios
>
> Instead..... unless the owner/group is set to nagios.nagios (or whatever is
> being used)
>
> Could someone please check up on this ?

Interesting.

I believe the 0700 node reflects your umask.

To this point, we have made it so that the plugins are not a prereq for
nagios, not nagios for the plugins. On the one hand, the plugins are a
handy test suite whether of not nagios is installed, on the other, the
system is sufficiently modular the you may well decide to use some set
of programs other than the standard plugins.

The effect is, AFICT, /usr/lib/nagios is owned by neither. So it
inherits the umask of the installer.

I am going to suggest that, as far as it goes, we have made the right
decision to keep the two only loosely coupled. So, it seems the solution
would be to manually make the directory with a 775 umask if iyt does not
yet exist. This would happen in the %pre section of both the plugins ang
nagios itself.

Maybe other people have better ideas, however.