[Nagiosplug-devel] check_disk.c HEAD without -d parameters

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Fri Jun 27 04:25:16 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 09:58, Voon, Ton wrote:
> Just wanted to see what the consensus was on this change. v1.23 wanted:
>
> check_disk -d /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5
>
> in order to test a physical partition. The change below removes this so that
> you can use:
>
> check_disk -p /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5
>
> as you would have done in the r1_3_0 version of check_disk. I didn't think
> there was a need to use a separate flag to specify devices.
>
> Any thoughts? I can backout if people think -d is better.

On issue is that if you specify a -p /dev/???? you actually are
specifying a file on the /dev partition. What if the goal is to check
the number of inodes used on /dev? You make it impossible (or difficult
to do so).

I personally think he convenience of being able to willfully confuse
devices and filesystems is minor. If may be appropriate for a
user-oriented utility like df, but I think a nagios adminsistrator
should be able to tell the difference.

I have a vague sense that I had other reasons at the time, But those
elude me at the moment.

I'd prefer it be backed out.
--
Karl