[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: Release tags in CVS (was: Compiling plugins for Tru64)

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Fri Mar 21 06:19:26 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-03-21 at 09:03, Voon, Ton wrote:
> A branch called r1_3_x (or r1_3) would have cleared up the confusion, at
> least in my head. I see the branch name as the eventual release, whereas you
> see it as from the release onwards. Te-marr-toe / te-mae-toe.

I definitely see your point. And you are right that it's not totally
clear.

But remember, a branch is just a special tag.

There had to be a r1_3_0 tag - that was the actual release. I thought
that fewer tags would forestall the question 'What is the difference
between the r1_3_x tag and the r1_3_0 tag (there would be no difference,
except you would need to know that r1_3_x was a branch and r1_3_0 was
not, even though they referred to exactly the same set of files at
exactly the same time).

Given that, I'm still not sure a r1_3_x branch would have been any less
confusing. It just would have confused different people in different
ways.

--
Karl