[Nagiosplug-devel] Performance patches (was [ nagiosplug-Patches-740404 ] 1.3.0 perf ormance addon for disk/http/load/ping/procs/swap/u)

Voon, Ton Ton.Voon at egg.com
Thu May 22 08:56:09 CEST 2003

Copying to nagiosplug-devel. Please remove nagios-devel if replying. (Sorry,
I originally sent to wrong group.)

Based on patches received and Karl's replies, I think perf data should
have/be:

- short labels
- generic and common labels across plugins if possible
- comma separated, no spaces. Regex format: [a-z0-9]+=[0-9]?\.?[0-9]+
- redundant data removed (eg, if check_disk returns pct and number (used),
can calculate free bytes)

My suggestion for labels are:

Name ; Units ; printf format ; Details
time ; seconds ; %.3f ; time taken to do a specific check (eg DNS query,
HTTP request, ping RTA)
pct ; percent ; %.3f ; percentage (used rather than free if applicable) (eg
total disk, total swap, ping percent loss)
number ; must be bytes if applicable ; %d ; a given number of things (used
rather than free if applicable) (eg processes, users, bytes used such as
total disk or total swap)
numberf ; float ; %.3f ; a given number of things that may be fractional
(eg, load average, average bytes transmitted)
counter ; a continuous counter (must be bytes if applicable) ; %d ; a
continuous counter (eg bytes transmitted on an interface)
load1 ; load ; %.2f ; load average over 1 min
load5 ; load ; %.2f ; load average over 5 min
load15 ; load ; %.2f ; load average over 15 min

Note loadx - not really keen on these, but don't seem to fit into any other
labels, unless we only return load5 and use numberf.

Maybe number should be a float so that numberf is not required?

Note that the patches submitted for check_ping had perf labels of rta and
loss, but I think these should be time and pct respectively. I think this
makes it easier for something like RRD to work out what type of value it is
to draw the graphs. Why the returned values are bad is then up to
interpretation (and that is the key to any performance analysis!).

Maybe this is too reductionalism and the labels should describe the measure,
but I think the labels should be generic and the plugin gives the context.

I agree, only in HEAD.

Comments?

Ton