[Nagiosplug-devel] check_ping patch for 'RedHat'

Patrick Allen p.allen at brandblue.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 09:16:46 CEST 2003

After hacking away at the old netsaint check_ping plugin to patch for
yet another ping format i eventually gave up and installed Nagios.

To my pleasure the "OK" (success) message now works however under RedHat
(9) i found that the "CRITICAL" message failed with a:

 > Error: Could not interpret output from ping command

This was simply resolved with the following:

 > || sscanf (input_buffer, "%*d packets transmitted, %*d received, +%*d
errors, %d%% packet loss", &pl) == 1

The fuller system profile is:
RedHat 9.0

uname -a
   Linux <host> 2.4.20-19.9 #1 Tue Jul 15 17:18:13 EDT 2003 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

ping -V
   ping utility, iputils-ss020927

--
  "Let them eat cake, and run Windows and MacOS, I say! If they want
         to use Linux, they'll have to learn regular expressions. :)"

Patrick Allen                                          Brand Blue Ltd
Web Developer                            <http://www.brandblue.co.uk>
T: 01865 762244   /  F: 01865 768400   /   E: p.allen at brandblue.co.uk