[Nagiosplug-devel] A couple of suggestions

Ton Voon tonvoon at mac.com
Sun Dec 5 12:40:00 CET 2004

On 4 Dec 2004, at 12:36, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Ahoy.
>
> I might as well apologize right away, since this probably won't go
> down too well with all of the developers.
>
> Down to business.
>
> I'm delighted to see that plugin development pace has picked up. I'm
> not equally delighted in the deterioration of code quality and the
> apparent lack of even basic testing of checked in changes.

This is my fault. I specifically gave a mandate to all the developers
to make the changes that they deemed "necessary" for the 1.4 release. I
have specified general aims (no major new functionality, get
internalization as good as possible, compile on many OSes), but I do
not want to micromanage each change. I trust them to deliver.

However, there are 3 new developers on board and will not necessarily
work the same as the existing members do, so the project is naturally
being shaken up by their presence. I am providing guidance to all the
new guys as and when I see fit.

Given the target that I am setting for the 1.4 release, I am fully
expecting there will be more changes and that there are likely to be
regressions, so please bear with us. I have put a 4 week period for the
beta testing where we will only be doing bug fixes and regression
testing. If there are still major problems, then we will delay the
final stable release.

Thank you for raising this because I think it is a valid concern and I
will take some measures to address it.