[Nagiosplug-devel] How would upgrading autoconf & automake go down?

Mon Dec 13 00:19:02 CET 2004

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 07:18:34AM +0000, Ton Voon wrote:

  ... many good things snipped

> Before I commit, I wanted some opinions - is it worth making these
> changes and force us using newer GNU tools?

I have been using the latest (2.59 and 1.93 automake) since IIRC, I had
problems with earlier versions.

The history (see like named section in the tools manual) of the tools
suggests to me that changes are frequent and backward compatability is
not preserved.

As a result, given the different vers on the SourceForge compile farm
(CF) hosts, I have installed local copies of the latest versions in my
home/bin directory on the CF.

So

. using the latest seems mandatory to me

. only those adding plugins to the distro need use the tools so the
impact of a ver change is small if not inifinitismal

==> do it.

> Ton

Yours sincerely.
--