[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: How would upgrading autoconf & automake go down?

Yves ymettier at perfparse.org
Tue Dec 14 05:53:09 CET 2004

> However, one thing I've noticed is that I get errors with autoconf
> v2.57, so this means the dependency is now on autoconf v2.58. Also, I
> am using automake v1.6.3 while the automake dependency is v1.6 in the
> dev guidelines - I haven't installed the older version to test.
>
> Before I commit, I wanted some opinions - is it worth making these
> changes and force us using newer GNU tools?

My experience with perfparse, where the dependancy is still 2.5X for autoconf, but 1.6
for automake :
The users don't need autoconf and automake : they just need to run configure. So your
question concerns only developers.
As a developer, I would say that recompiling a partial GNU environment including
autoconf and automake is possible on most systems. But developers should always have the
newer tools to develop (and old configs to test)
I agree with your question to force or not developers to recompile a GNU environment if
they don't have it already.

But I prefer this question : who, and on what systems, would have to upgrade the
development tools ?

Lynne Lawrence already answered it for Solaris>=8 users : it's OK.
Mandrake, Fedora, Suse (and others) Linux users are probably OK with their recent Linux.
Darwin (MacOSX) users with fink : OK too.

What about RHES and other older Redhat systems ?
What about Debian Woody users (do they all have a more recent linux for developing ?)
What about HPUX, AIX, *BSD and other users ?

Yves

--
- Homepage    - http://ymettier.free.fr - http://www.logicacmg.com -
- GPG key     - http://ymettier.free.fr/gpg.txt                    -