[Nagiosplug-devel] SNMP community in host configuration

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Dec 17 14:28:00 CET 2004

Patrick Proy wrote:
> OK, I'm going to plan this if it's not to much work.

It probably isn't (macro code in Nagios was made easily managed sometime
in november). However, since Nagios went beta, Ethan announced he will
most likely stop accepting new features and changes to logic. These will
be put in for the 2.1 release, and the beta is currently only open for
bugfixes only. Your patch would most likely not make it into the
official dist for quite some time.

> Here is my general idea (comments are welcome) :
> - Add in the host definition a label (like "userdefined") wich can take one
> argument in text
> - Create a new macro ($HOSTUSER$) that can be used in service definition.
>
> - If this works OK, extend this to more than one (userdefined<n> and
> $HOSTUSER<n>).
>
> - Wait some time to have feedback from users, then (if makes sense), do the
> same thing for services.
>
> Is there some beta testers ready to help ? Anybody interested to help in
> fact ?

Not me, no. The idea to use different SNMP auth-data for all your
snmp-enabled devices doesn't really add all that much to security (if
someone can get their hand on one of the community
strings/username:password pairs he/she can probably get more from the
same source, be it sniffing, social engineering or what not), unless you
take into account bruteforce attacks, and I haven't come across a
properly set up network yet that does things this way.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer