[Nagiosplug-devel] Severity in status text

Ton Voon tonvoon at mac.com
Wed Feb 11 16:18:19 CET 2004

On 11 Feb, 2004, at 23:22, Jason Martin wrote:

> I was wondering; is there a standard on whether to include Severity in
> the
> status text? Several of the plugins seem to preface their results with
> severity, as in:
>
> OK: blah blah blah
> CRITICAL: foo foo foo

Good question. I was thinking this the other day, but never got round
to discussing. I propose the standard is:

{TYPE/METRIC} {STATUS}[: any additional information]

So, for check_http, we would have:

HTTP OK: HTTP/1.1 200 OK - 3.847 second response time

But check_procs would return:

PROCS OK: 47 processes

or:

VSZ OK: 80 processes

depending on the metric being checked.

I also think that the metric and status should be in caps, with
everything else in normal case.

The level of detail returned is already documented in the developer's
guide.

Any thoughts?