[Nagiosplug-devel] check_swap mis-reporting values

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Thu Feb 19 15:35:06 CET 2004

I have a problem on a particular Solaris 7 box with check_swap reporting
incorrect values.   I'm pretty sure this is a problem with the machine itself,
rather than with check_swap, since the plugin is working correctly on other
Solaris machines, including other SunOS 5.7 boxes.  However, since I don't
really know what check_swap is doing in the background to get its data, I
thought I'd ask here for recommendations on where I should look for problems.

Here's the details...

check_swap is
check_swap (nagios-plugins 1.3.1) 1.9

The only swap partition on the machine in question looks like this:

% df -k /tmp
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
swap                 2015408   55680 1959728     3%    /tmp

And here's what check_swap reports:

% ./check_swap -a
CRITICAL - Swap used: 100% (164656 out of 164656)

The "used" value varies slightly, from 164000 up to 164656.  However, it never
reports the correct value.  It's not even getting the correct "available"
value.

Anyone have any thoughts on where I should look for problems?

--
Matt Pounsett                 CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Technical Support Programmer                    350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110