[Nagiosplug-devel] check_swap mis-reporting values

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Thu Feb 19 16:30:34 CET 2004

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Ton Voon wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Can you try with the latest Nagios plugins? There's been a lot of work
> on check_swap in the 1.4 release. Also use the -v switch to see what
> commands check_swap is actually running.

check_swap has no -v switch (neither version)... if it does, it's not in the
help, and doesn't appear to do anything.  Also, check_swap is compiled, not a
script, so it's not 'running commands' per-se.  What output did you expect to
see from -v?

At any rate, the 1.4.0alpha check swap has a similar problem to the 1.3.1
version.. although it misrepresents the total available swap differently.

% ./check_swap -a -w 20% -c 10%
SWAP CRITICAL: 0% free (0 MB out of 80 MB) |swap=0MB;16;8;0;80

% df -k /tmp
Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
swap                 2031672   55680 1975992     3%    /tmp

By the way, the check_swap in 1.4.0alpha has buggy help output:

 check_swap [-a] -w <used_percentage>% -c <used_percentage>%

I believe this should be changed to free_percentage.

--
Matt Pounsett                 CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Technical Support Programmer                    350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110