[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: Rewrite of check_log

Alexander Haderer alexander.haderer at charite.de
Thu Feb 26 03:06:03 CET 2004

At 02:39 26.02.2004 +0000, Paul L. Allen wrote:
>Flo Gleixner writes:
>>I did a half-rewrite of the check_log script.

>>- No more diff. It calculates the difference with the difference of the
>>   filesizes and only greps the added lines. This implies:
>>- greatly increased performance for large log files.
>
>Good.  So what happens when logrotate kicks in?  I think a check_log
>replacement has to retain state: how far it got into the logfile and
>the inode of the logfile (so it can know if the file has been rotated).
>I haven't examined the problem very deeply because right now I don't
>have a need to use check_log.  But those are the two biggest problems
>that occurred to me when I looked at check_log and check_log2 (sorry,
>Ethan, those two just don't come even close to being sensible if I wanted
>to monitor any of our logs - typical maillog size is 40M/day and a "scan
>right the way through to get the latest entry" approach just doesn't
>cut it.)

Hello, there is the fetchlog utility in contrib. It sounds to me that
fetchlog does some of the jobs you mention here. Please take a look at

         http://fetchlog.sourceforge.net

and my problem report 860993:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397599&aid=860993&group_id=29880

What is missing in fetchlog is regex functionality. In the current status
this means, that one have to configure the logfiles/syslog to get the
critical messages in a separate file which can be monitored by fetchlog (as
I does here in our setup)

Probably we can merge our work together.

wíth best regards,

Alexander (maintainer of fetchlog)

Alexander Haderer                     Charite
                                       Campus Virchow-Klinikum
Tel.  +49 30 - 450 557 182            Strahlenklinik und Poliklinik
Fax.  +49 30 - 450 557 117            Sekr. Prof. Felix
Email alexander.haderer at charite.de    Augustenburger Platz 1
www   http://www.charite.de/rv/str/   13353 Berlin - Germany