[Nagiosplug-devel] check_snmp always shows critical

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Thu Jan 15 16:56:00 CET 2004

On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 daryl at introspect.net wrote:

> Sorry if this has been covered before.  I'm using v1.3.1, and have
> tested 1.4.0alpha1 with the same results.
>
> After adding some cisco-specific mibs to NET-SNMP on a Debian Woody
> system, the command:
>
> check_snmp -H <router_ip> -o .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.58.0 -w 85 -c 95 -C
> <ro_comm_string> -l CPU -u %
>
> Returns:
> CPU WARNING - 5 %
>
> Removing the MIBs makes everything work just fine again.
>
> Interestingly, if I make the warn threshold or critical threshold below
> the actual value (with the MIBs in), I get:
>
> CPU WARNING - *5* %
>
> Note the *'s around the return value.
>
> Also confusing, it that snmpget returns:
> enterprises.9.2.1.58.0 = 5
> No matter whether the MIBs are in or not (I didn't install anything that
> should cover this OID)

One of the cisco mibs is probably generating an ASN.1/SMI  parsing error
to snmpget.  The parsing error is output on stderr for snmpget.  Any
output on stderr causes check_snmp to go to a "Warning" level.

- try fixing the asn.1/smi error
- use only numeric oids and prevent mibs files from being loaded by
including a " -m : " option.

-sg