[Nagiosplug-devel] check_ssh and check_smtp return codes

Bjørnar Bjørgum Larsen bjornar.bjorgum.larsen at ementor.no
Fri Jan 30 23:31:03 CET 2004

> Most mornings when I get to work I see errors on the console that say:
>
>     Segmentation Fault - core dumped
>     Warning: Return code of 139 for check of service 'SSH
> Check' on host
> 'ucsub' was out of bounds.

I don't know about the segfault part, bur usually when we see "Return code xyz was out of bounds" it means that the string returned to Nagios was too long for Nagios to handle. Technically this is a check bug, since the checks should conform to Nagios specifications, but in my humble opinion Nagios should be able to handle all string lengths, at the very least it could truncate.

I've read something about it on nagios.org or in the mailing lists, I think it's fixed in 2.0 or in the pipeline. Until then, I'm patching the checks so that they don't return long error messages no matter what they encounter.

:) Bjørnar