[Nagiosplug-devel] (Fwd) Plugins 2 SQL

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Thu Mar 11 06:16:04 CET 2004

>  Just sitting thinking here especially over the whole up.time thinghy.
>  Its not a bad idea to have the plugins output be entered into a sql
>  server of some type. So I am think of giving it a go in perl if there
>  are no plans to do the same or no one else is doing this.
>
>  The way I see it working is that there is a sql plugin that takes
>  another plugin as an argument and any of the arguments for plugin X.
>  Plugin X then is run in the noremal way, and the data is entered into
>  the SQL server and then passed back to nagios. So know absolutly
>  nothing about plugin development for nagios, I'm going over any of
>  the
>  docs I can find. But apart from the docs, anyone got any better ideas
>  on how to do this? Advice, tools etc etc. I suppose I gotta lean
>  sometime so no better time than now.

I don't have any ideas, but just a comment/request. I run postgresql on my servers. I'm not a DBA, but I run it for the few apps we have on the webserver that talk to a DB, and our programmer talks to postgresql. I'm not going to load another database, be it mysql or any other, on the server just for Nagios. One DB is enough "fun" for me.

So please, keep this in mind when developing any SQL interface. I also do not use tools like NagMin because they require MySQL rather than having some sort of compile-time option for database support.

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer
Windchannel Communications
M: 919-538-6326