[Nagiosplug-devel] Access to CVS as a developer

Jeremy T. Bouse jeremy+nagios at undergrid.net
Thu Mar 18 22:14:30 CET 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:52:56AM +0000, Howard Wilkinson wrote:
> I would like to get access to the CVS store as a developer. I have a
> large number of patches to the currently existing plugins and some
> additional plugins that I would like to see included in future
> distributions. These include:
>
>    * A largely rewritten check_tcp.c that allows send expect dialogues
>      to be added to the existing facilities. This now uses a data
>      driven structure for the send-expect-quit sequence and allows
>      multiple handshake conservations with services, giving the ability
>      to check a complete dialogue as valid where required.

	I'd be interested in looking at how you've gone about this as
well in the interest of making sure that the AF-independent nature we
were trying to move towards is properly maintained. This was a major
update when it first occur'd so it's definately something that should be
patched against CVS HEAD.

>    * A perl version of check_dns, which uses the Net::DNS library and
>      supports retrieving records of all mainstream DNS types. It also
>      supports the ability to compare the returned result with an
>      expected result and report a critical failure if they do not
>      match. The matching rules are generous and allow matching on exact
>      strings, prefixes, suffixes, substrings, as well as oneof
>      selection where multiple results are returned. I am working no a
>      structured checking facility that will allow checking of the dns
>      records in much more detail and will try to add any missing record
>      types in the near future - this requires extension to the Net::DNS
>      library as well as some more extensive checking code.

	I had been thinking a rewrite of the DNS related plugins was
prolly in order, as well as many that call external shell scripts. Did
you have any particular reasons for going with rewriting as a perl
version rather than C? Just curious if there was any specific reason.

	Regards,
	Jeremy