[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: Last call for Perl-plugin-objects

Thu May 27 06:26:26 CEST 2004

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 01:47:00PM +0100, Paul L. Allen wrote:
> Karl DeBisschop writes:
>
> > 2) you agree that the performance cost is acceptable.
> >
> > I can try to work on #1, but as noted above, free time is presently near
> > zero.
> >
> > As far as #2, the judgment call is entirely in your court as far as I am
> > concerned.
> >
> > As usual, people may disagree. But those are my opinions on the matter.
>
> Perl's OOP does have significant performance costs.

If no one other than me is willing to A/B the performance of plugins
built with the Howard Wilkinson and/or Yuval Kogman Perl OO bases, then
claims of this nature are unhelpful.

One thing that suprised me when I did this is that even without embedded
Perl Support, plugin performance is far more limited by IPC delays than
method dispatch delay.

Using Mr Wilkinsons OO basis, the procedural check_ms_spooler run time
IIRC, is no more than 5% better than the OO version.

This is the opportunity for those that like me were unconvinced of the
merit of the proposal to post measurements demonstrating that the OO
performance is a slug.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.