[Nagiosplug-devel] Check_ping question

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Wed Nov 10 18:36:08 CET 2004

>> Yes, but what I'm really looking for is a real "check-host-alive". I
>> don't want a status report, I just want a PASS/FAIL result. Since Nagios
>> seems configured to use check_ping for it, I am not looking for it to be
>> an iterative plugin in this case.
>>

>I'm working on writing a check_host_alive plugin, which will be able to
>do just this.

I'm very interested in this, please let me know when you've got something I might be able to download/test...assuming you're making this for the public domain, of course. :)

>It isn't overridden. It's just prioritized lower than the timeout value
>specified in the threshold values for programmatical reasons.

What I mean is, if I specify a timeout, I don't care what the programmer thinks of my timeout value - the program should use the value I gave it. Otherwise, that flag is pretty much useless. Not to sound too righteous, but a "user specified flag" that gets ignored isn't really allowing the user to specify squat :)

Rob Nelson