[Nagiosplug-devel] check_load, inaccurate results.

Ben Clewett Ben at clewett.org.uk
Mon Nov 15 02:18:01 CET 2004

Dear plugin developers,

I have noticed that the check_load only reports integer performance
data.  Eg:

OK - load average: 0.62, 0.68, 0.58 | load1=0;1;2;0 load5=0;2;3;0
load15=0;3;4;0

This plugin used to return correct values.  These inaccurate results
don't provide the accuracy to reflect a history of the true performance
of the system.

I note the new perfdata call in utils.c:

char *perfdata (const char *label,
  long int val,
  const char *uom,
  int warnp,
  long int warn,
  int critp,
  long int crit,
  int minp,
  long int minv,
  int maxp,
  long int maxv)
{

However, performance data from a few plugins is required to respect
floating point numbers.   Can I suggest this function is changed to
accept real numbers and not integers?

I also note that this function call cannot handle the range values as
defined in:

http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html#THRESHOLDFORMAT

Which some developers may like to respect.

Regards,

Ben Clewett.