[Nagiosplug-devel] check_load, inaccurate results.

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Nov 15 06:25:08 CET 2004

Ben Clewett wrote:
> Dear plugin developers,

You're wasting your breath. (Official) plugin development has been at a
standstill for a very long time. I suggest you take a stab at making
whatever changes are necessary yourself. If you spend 5 minutes a week
it will be faster than waiting for the plugin developers to take action.

> I have noticed that the check_load only reports integer performance
> data.  Eg:
>
> OK - load average: 0.62, 0.68, 0.58 | load1=0;1;2;0 load5=0;2;3;0
> load15=0;3;4;0
>
> This plugin used to return correct values.
>
> I note the new perfdata call in utils.c:
>
> char *perfdata (const char *label,
>  long int val,
>  const char *uom,
>  int warnp,
>  long int warn,
>  int critp,
>  long int crit,
>  int minp,
>  long int minv,
>  int maxp,
>  long int maxv)
> {
>

> Performance data from a few plugins is required to respect floating
> point numbers.   Can I suggest this function is changed to accept real
> numbers and not integers?

It's rather stupid to have a unified perfdata function, since plugins
will return highly different kinds of values (as you have just pointed
out). It is very impractical to convert integer values to floating point
ones, and what's being accomplished can usually be done with a simple
printf(3) statement anyway. Where it cannot, I see no way for the plugin
to correctly utilize the perfdata function either, so it's existence is
fairly useless.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer