[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: Nagiosplug-devel digest, Vol 1 #707 - 4 msgs

Thomas M. Payerle payerle at physics.umd.edu
Tue Nov 16 08:03:03 CET 2004

> However, performance data from a few plugins is required to respect
> floating point numbers.   Can I suggest this function is changed to
> accept real numbers and not integers?
A possible caveat: I believe rrdtool round robin databases only accept
integral values, at least I ran into that when playing with this on a
couple of my systems.  Although I have not thoroughly confirmed this, and
was not running the latest and greatest version of rrdtool, and I suspect
it might not be a major change to rrdtool to fix (I believe it must store
floating point due to its interpolation algorithms, but the tools appear
only look at integral part of the arguments).  I was meaning to contact
the rrdtool developer after looking into it more thoroughly, but have been
swamped of late; for my needs I just had plugin report as a percentage.

None of the above directly impacts the Nagios performance data question,
but as I suspect one of the most common uses of performance data is to
populate rrdtool databases, I thought I would alert you to the potential
issue.

Tom Payerle
Dept of Physics				payerle at physics.umd.edu
University of Maryland			(301) 405-6973
College Park, MD 20742-4111		Fax: (301) 314-9525