[Nagiosplug-devel] NS Client--need knowledge

Marc DeTrano marc at gridshield.net
Fri Nov 26 07:31:23 CET 2004

I was wondering if anyone on this list can help with NS Client issues.
I think the first issue is whether or not I am wrong in thinking that
check_nt with the NS Client service is the best way to gather data from
Windows machines.  It seems it should be, considering that the NS Client
is lightweight and has the ability to get data from Performance
Counters, which opens up a lot of monitoring possibilities.  However, it
seems no one is developing this anymore, and not much discussion is out
there regarding bugs and problems.

Of course, my first suggestion to anyone would be to not use Windows
servers and go to Linux, but we consult for many companies and that just
isn't our decision to make.  Our clients are quite happy, however, when
we present NS Client as an alternative to resource hogs like HP
Openview's clients.

The problem arises when I repeatedly get failures when using check_nt,
with output such as:

-No data was received from host!
-Socket timeout after X seconds.
-Connection refused by host.

This is not isolated to one Windows machine or even one network.  It
seems symptomatic of the software--has anyone been through this before?

I realize there is an nrpe for windows, but we cannot take on the
development of plugins for MS platforms.  I would love to smooth out
these NS Client issues.  Can anyone help.

Ns Client ver. 2.0.1
Windows 2K servers.

Thanks
Marc DeTrano