[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: Nagios plugin translation next part ;-)

Benoit Mortier benoit.mortier at opensides.be
Tue Nov 30 00:52:01 CET 2004

Le mardi 30 Novembre 2004 06:56, Stanley Hopcroft a écrit :
> Dear Sir,
>
> I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,
>
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 10:54:55PM +0000, Ton Voon wrote:
> > I think the long term view should be to have separate "METRIC" "LEVEL"
> > "Msg", and then these can be translated separately.
> >
> > However, I think we probably need a function in utils.c like:
> >
> > print_status (metric, LEVEL, msg);
> >
> > where print_status prints "%s %s %s", so then you can have msgstr =
> > "%2$s %1$s %s" in the translation (maybe perfdata as an optional
> > parameter).
> >
> > But I am a bit loathed to try and put this into the 1.4 release because
> > I can see this would change a bit too many lines of code. Opinions?
>
> I suggest deferring any substantial changes in favour of clearing up
> bugs (if possible), accepting patches and contributed plugins.

I agree, we should clear all the bug if possible and leave that for 1.4.1,
this would allow us to finish the translation and spot the rough edge.

I could provide also the flemish translation around february.

> The plugins really are very useful things as is; I use them directly or
> as a foundation for non Nag scheduled monitoring (eg long term intensive
> monitoring of an intermittent fault that I may not want to be alerted
> about, or simply ad-hoc health checks from remote stuff that doesn't
> require nrpe or friends).
>
> It is good to not jeopardise the good will of the anonymous
> contributors, so perhaps we should do the best we can with the
> internationalisation effort while becoming clear about the costs of the
> various approaches. I am conscious of the far more serious thinking
> about this by Benoit Yves and yourself, so am quite happy to shut up.

No problem with that ;-) we should focus on getting the plugins out in
version 1.4 and make sure that thing like perfdata, localisation get in
place but getting them out is more important than localization ;-)

Hav a nice day
--
Benoit Mortier
OpenSides sprl