[Nagiosplug-devel] Suggested alterations to the Performance Protocoll

Ben Clewett Ben at clewett.org.uk
Thu Sep 9 06:32:08 CEST 2004

Yves Mettier wrote:

> Now, about Ben's suggestion of protocol version. This can be a reserved keyword for the
> label. But will it really be used ? Will new parsers try to support old versions ? Old
> parsers cannot support new versions of course :)
> Aren't log files enough to see that there is a problem, and that some old plugin needs
> to be updated ?

If the protocol range is above the ability of the parser, ignore it :)
Only useful *if* the backward compatibility is lost.  This should be
only for a very compelling reason.

However.  If we add a protocol version now, it will help in the future
if the backward compatablility is changed.  Current parsers will not get
upset at this time, current plugins will still function after that time...

Yves, your idea of a ntm "ntm[.xx]"  Was there a good reason why this
should not be as a variable "ntm=ntm[.xx]", thus making this backwardly
compatible?

> Well, for now, the only agreed changes are to allow INF (-INF, +INF) for the ranges, and
> NaN for the value. Is that right ?

Looking back at suggestions from my original email and discussion:

1.  Loop hole in documentation, fixed.

2.  Time stamp when plugin ran:  Under discussion.

3.  Time it took for plugin to run: Forgotten/Rejected?

4.  Addition of macro's.  NaN = No value.  -INF and +INF to be used in
range specification.  Agreed.  (?)

5.  Allow any UOM.  Agreed to stick to SI where possible and assist
users with a list of SI variables to pick from.

6.  Allowing date to be entered as SQL format: Rejected, use UNIX format.

7.  Using milliseconds as fractional past of a UNIX time/date where user
wants this accuracy: Agree.

8.  Including a protocol version number: Still in discussion.

9.  Limit protocol to just numerical data:  No.  But will not be
supported by some storage programs.  (Yves performance parsing engine to
allow such programs to do what they like with this data.  Hows this work
going?)

...?...

Ben