[Nagiosplug-devel] Suggested alterations to the Performance Protocoll

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Thu Sep 9 17:38:16 CEST 2004

Ben Clewett wrote:

> Looking back at suggestions from my original email and discussion:
>
> 4.  Addition of macro's.  NaN = No value.  -INF and +INF to be used in
> range specification.  Agreed.  (?)

I do still think some token to indicate it is a macro is appropriate

I used "=" in my conceptual discussion this morning, but that obviously
won't work because we alreadty use "=" in the guidelines.

How about @NAN@, @NULL@, @+INF@, @-INF@

Or [NAN], [NULL], and so on.

Or is there a general reason why some sort of tokens won't work?

(I should not that if there is no range provided, it is genereally
assumed to be infinite in the current plugin implementations - in other
words, the philosohy has been to ry and be diligent in providing limts
whenever they can be)

> 9.  Limit protocol to just numerical data:  No.  But will not be
> supported by some storage programs.  (Yves performance parsing engine to
> allow such programs to do what they like with this data.  Hows this work
> going?)

Right - programs that are built for graphing would be expected to ignore
such data. But that does not give license to design the guideline such
that nothing but graphing can ever be done with the data.