[Nagiosplug-devel] [ nagiosplug-Patches-1025841 ] fixes for check_log

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 10 06:07:01 CEST 2004

You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=397599&aid=1025841&group_id=29880

Category: Bugfix
Group: None

Initial Comment:
In my humble opinion (backed up by first-hand
experience), the check_log script is not yet complete.

When the logfile to check becomes empty (for instance
after logrotate or a reboot), the 'older copy of the logfile'
still contains data. Since these files are compared with a
diff-statement: diff $logfile $oldlog, all lines in the oldlog
will be checked for a match with the given query-string,
resulting in a lot of notifications.

The way I solved it, is as follows:
instead of diff $logfile $oldlog, I use diff $logfile $oldlog |
grep \^\<

This results in diff outputting ONLY NEW lines in the
logfile. If the logfile becomes empty, all diff-output lines
start with '>' and will not be checked.

This is probably a quick-and-dirty solution, but works fine
for us (so far)...

Another issue I found in this script:
lastentry=`$GREP "$query" $tempdiff | $TAIL -lines=1`

I am not sure which Os'es understand tail -lines=1 but
afaik tail -1 is more common...