[Nagiosplug-devel] Kickoff for 1.5

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Mon Apr 4 06:23:23 CEST 2005

hi patrick,

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 12:48:47AM +0100, Patrick Proy wrote:
> When I asked a few months ago, nobody seemed to be willing to group the
> multiple perl snmp plugins, but it would be a VERY good idea.

i finally had the time to sit down and look over the plugins.  here are
some comments:

- general
  - there's nowhere i can seem to download a tarball with everything.
    (ah, the joy of wget -r :])
  - there doesn't seem to be support for snmp v2c (the fix for this is
    trivial).
  - i could see adding a few shared functions could really cut down on
    the amount of code. some ideas:
      - nagios_snmp_getopt($getopt_str, $getopt_ht)  (where getopt_str
	contains anything outside the common cmdline options).
      - nagios_snmp_fetch_int($oid, $warn, $crit)
  - the output of the plugins should ideally be as similar as possible
    to their non-snmp counterparts.  most importantly, the perfdata.

- check_load should be seperated into two plugins, check_load and
  check_processor, as these are two completely different metrics (you
  can have a unix host with low processor usage and a high load or
  vice versa, and process load doesn't make sense on network hardware)

- two of your plugins could allow a local user to overwrite your nagios
  configuration, among other things.  i can point it out to you in
  private if you like.

anyway, i'd like to help out with this, and hope that this stuff could
eventually getting these and more into the official plugins.  i see
you've started up a sourceforge project recently for this, care to share
cvs access with me (username:seanius)?  i think what makes the most
sense at this point is to continue with the development seperately via
this sf project, and once we're happy with things send a tarball to
the nagiosplug project.  what do you think?

thanks for your work on this!
	sean