[Nagiosplug-devel] Working for Altinity

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Wed Aug 17 07:09:31 CEST 2005

Hi!

I want to declare a potential conflict of interest. I have just
started a new job for Altinity (http://www.altinity.com). They sell a
monitoring solution based on Nagios called OpsView and have asked me
to help with their development, services and support to their
customers. One of the attractions of the company is that they "get"
open source and have confirmed that I can do Nagios Plugins work as
part of helping the overall community. Altinity have already released
code to Nagios Exchange and will be contributing more in future.

I understand there may be concern that I will not be able to keep my
"two hats" separate (as Nagios Plugins project lead and as Altinity
employee), but I think I am capable of it. If you think there are
specific instances where I am not fulfilling this, you have my
permission to call it. Please contact me privately or via this
mailing list and I will try and resolve it or stand down if that is
the preferable outcome.

But let's not be too negative. I think this move will allow this
project to move up a level, which will lead to better software. There
will be competition in the services space - as there are quite a few
resellers in the market - but this is what the commercial side of
open source software is all about. Anyway, I personally think that
the market for good monitoring solutions is very large - every
company needs it!

I see the real targets are BMC Patrol, IBM Tivoli and all the other
complicated, expensive and frankly unusable products.

Ton

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725
Skype: tonvoon

The contents of this email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individuals to
whom it
is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or have received
this
e-mail in error please notify the sender and destroy this e-mail
immediately. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the
material in this e-mail is strictly prohibited.