[Nagiosplug-devel] nagios

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Tue Dec 13 14:36:07 CET 2005

In message <F353818AA97A174CBE58CC4AE0623171C66603 at metropolis.otcorp.opentable.
com>,
Mike Karmindro writes:
>At my company, we are concerned with the potential performance issues with
>having several monitors and several plugins polling our database at possibly
>frequent intervals.  If I can gather all the necessary information myself,

You will have to have a test to make sure the data is fresh otherwise
the plugins will report from stale data and miss a problem.

>does a plugin exist that can read all the data necessary off of, say, a
>file?

I don't know of ny currently existing plugin.

>This way we don't have to incur the performance penalty of all the
>database reads, and can just have nagios get all the data at once.

Your plugin can do anything. I have had good luch with a
polling/passive service strategy. You have one active plugin that
connects to the database every few minutes and gets and analyzes all
available data. It returns ok on say the DatabaseAccess service then
it can submit (using passive check results) to diferent services other
info like tablespace available, number of users on database etc.

One poll that if it fails will be reported in nagios. You can even use
freshness checks on the passive services to make sure you don't miss
an error.  The one problem with this setup is that all monitoring will
occur at a single frequency. If you want one of the passive services
to be montored faster/slower than the active service you can't do it.

(Well, you can do it but only slower sampling at a multiple of the
 active service's time periods just get/analyze the passive service's
 data event N'th run of the active service.)

So you have one active service multiplexing out a bunch of passive
services all reporting the database status. This makes it a lot more
efficient like packing multiple OID's in an snmp get request.

				-- rouilj
John Rouillard