[Nagiosplug-devel] compiling check_icmp on Solaris 5.9

Stephan Janosch stephan.janosch at interface-business.de
Fri Feb 4 05:26:04 CET 2005

Hi guys!

I compiled plugins 1.4 on a solaris (SunOS <hostname> 5.9
Generic_117171-15 sun4u sparc SUNW,UltraAX-i2 ) box. Following error
occured:

# make
make  all-recursive
Making all in intl
Making all in lib
make  all-am
Making all in plugins
gcc  -g -O2  -L. -o check_icmp  check_icmp.o  ../intl/libintl.a -liconv
-lgen -lsocket
gethostbyname                       check_icmp.o  (symbol belongs to
implicit dependency /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1)
inet_addr                           check_icmp.o  (symbol belongs to
implicit dependency /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1)
inet_ntoa                           check_icmp.o  (symbol belongs to
implicit dependency /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to check_icmp
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `check_icmp'
Current working directory /export/home/stephan/nagios-plugins-1.4/plugins
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'

Sorry for the linebreaks. These three symbols could not be found,
because they are defined in _libnsl_. So I did following:

I added "-lnsl" to the "gcc-line":

# gcc  -g -O2  -L. -o check_icmp  check_icmp.o  ../intl/libintl.a
-liconv -lgen -lsocket -lnsl

Then check_icmp was complied succesfully.

I hope, that helps on future issues with check_icmp.
Best regards, Stephan