[Nagiosplug-devel] system specific defines ... Was: check_dhc p - a possible addition

Thu Jan 20 03:42:33 CET 2005

Dear Folks,

I am writing to thank you for your comments and say,

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 12:01:59PM +0100, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Voon, Ton wrote:
> >Stanley,
> >
> >Is there any other open source project that uses dhcp to see how it is
> >done?
> >

> dhcpd/dhclient by ISC.

This is a good suggestion. dhclient runs anywhere (I think it uses the
bpf library to interact with the NIC) and using its means of accessing
the NIC is an infinitely better proposal than those I floated.

Since there should be few (or minor changes) to configure and the code
will be platform neutral this sounds quick, reliable and safe.

> >This might be too large a change for 1.4 at this stage, so I would err on
> >the side of moving it to contrib.
> >
> >Ton

The core of check_dhcp seems to be sound (Ethans code) and proven -
people use the contrib/ version on Linux. Replacing the interface stuff
with bpf sounds relatively easy.

Yours sincerely.

--
Stanley Hopcroft