[Nagiosplug-devel] [ nagiosplug-New Plugins-1112323 ] check_icmp rewritten

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 31 19:30:54 CET 2005

New Plugins item #1112323, was opened at 2005-01-29 23:39
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by stanleyhopcroft
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=541465&aid=1112323&group_id=29880

Category: C plugin
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Perhaps we can finally get rid of the ancient, slow,
buggy and ugly check_ping and all the problems it has
brought with different output on different systems.
Please check timings compared to your system ping,
which will have to act as reference.

It compiles silently and cleanly with all possible
warning-flags enabled on Linux (Owl 1.1 and current,
Debian 3.0, Fedora Core 3, RedHat 7.2, SuSE 9.0),
FreeBSD 5.2.1, NetBSD 1.6, Tru64 Unix 5.1b and HP-UX
(11i v2 and 11i 11.11).

All the above had a decently fresh version of gcc
installed, except Linux Owl, which was gcc 2.95.3.

Under Tru64 Unix 4.0g it compiles with warnings for
%llu printf format strings (for certain debug strings).

According to reports it also compiles nicely under
solaris 2.9.

It does NOT link in utils.o. Please keep it that way,
or I'll have a hard time making changes to it. It
conforms to the plugin guidelines anyway.

I only have root access to linux systems right now, so
I haven't been able to run very many tests, but timings
are completely consistent with system ping and all the
features and logic works as expected.