[Nagiosplug-devel] Nagios plugins CPAN-like archive (was: Obsoleted contrib and tarballs files)

Brodie, R (Richard) R.Brodie at rl.ac.uk
Tue Jul 12 04:24:14 CEST 2005

Sean Finney wrote:

> my main concern is with qa-related topics.  sure, there's the NIH
> syndrome you mentioned earlier (which i think is relevant), but i'm
> more worried about the overall lack of control over quality, as well
> as pollution of our namespace/reputation.

I think a long term goal might be to have an 'unstable?' group that
was easy to install as a package. These would be to some degree blessed:

maybe requiring a core plugin developer to sponsor. Anything else would
be
strictly unofficial.

> i think such concerns could be addressed if we had some way of
providing
> some kind of nagiosplug "status" or "rating", where it was made clear
> whether or not it was reviewed by a member of the team, whether it was
> being considered for inclusion, etc.

Another useful thing would be to track whether maintenance is ongoing,
and who by. CPAN appears to be fairly strong on this. At the moment,
contrib is a bit of a dumping ground; I think this idea has the
potential to improve on that.

Richard Brodie