[Nagiosplug-devel] Nagios plugins CPAN-like archive

Voon, Ton Ton.Voon at egg.com
Fri Jul 15 03:38:00 CEST 2005

Sorry for top-posting.

Why would non-clashing names not last? For example, if there were
multiple implementations of check_physical_disk, how do you propose they
be differentiated? By author? I think a restriction of non-clashing
names will force people to use more suitable names
(check_rs6000_physical_disks). Easier to lift a restriction than to
apply one later.

I'd obviously expect easy downloading, I think my thoughts were around
automated installs of plugins and maybe groups of plugins. Of course, it
helps if the plugin names do not clash! But you are right, it should be
higher in priority, so I'll move it to MUST HAVE.

I think user feedback is good for a guage on the quality of the plugin.
It effectively moves the auditing of a plugin from a small set of people
(the dev team) to the wider community. I use the Amazon review system a
lot to guage how good a product is - I don't see how that is different
on a plugin basis. However, not essential on day 1, hence in the SHOULD
HAVE.

Apologies if I missed your other objections. Can you summarise?