[Nagiosplug-devel] Guidelines

Jason Martin jhmartin at toger.us
Fri Jun 3 20:16:14 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 01, 2005 at 04:23:36PM +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> * "Print only one line of text"
> This should be changed to "Always make sure the first line of output
> contains something useful", as it's usually useful to (by default) print
> any error messages later on so the user sees them when running them from
> command-line. I'd be happy to print a queuing system for error messages
> so they can be printed at plugin exit.
So long as it is made obvious that Nagios will show only one
line of text...

> * "Validate all input"
> Considering the fact that not a single plugin does this today (unless
> you're thinking validate_arguments()), this is just a waste of
This is still a good idea -- a widely distributed plugin should
be very careful what it does, especially if it is going to be
run through a semi-insecure mechanism such as NRPE.  Not all the
plugins do this, but they should.

> In addition, it would be nice to see a section called "Don't waste
> return values just so you can (possibly inaccurately) recalculate them
> later".
What do you mean by this?

Overall it looks good.
-Jason Martin

--
I've got to sit down and work out where I stand.
This message is PGP/MIME signed.