[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: OF nagios plugins

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Jun 9 10:09:27 CEST 2005

Gavin Carr wrote:

>>>Depends how many machines you're talking. And then a new version of
>>>nagios plugins is released, and all your customisations get wiped out.
>>>Hmmmm.
>>
>>man sed. If you're going to upgrade the plugin package you'll probably
>>have it scripted anyway. I recommend sed 4.0.9 or later, as it supports
>>in-place editing (-i flag) and makes such things a lot easier.
>

> Sure, or perl, or patch for that matter. But all you're doing is automating
> a fix that shouldn't be required in the first place. There's a reason that
> the /etc tree exists - it's to separate configs from code. Check it out
> sometime.

Now you're being just a tad silly. Seeing as you're the first to bring
this up I'd say you should either submit a patch and hope the
maintainers accepts it, fork the plugins so you can do whatever you
want, or just calmly accept that what one person wants ten others would
hate, and none would work to implement.

>>>Two problems with this: one, the smartest makefile in the world is still
>>>running at build time, not at install time. So with packages it captures
>>>the settings for the packager's system, not the installed system.
>>
>>Performance would drop to around 50% if each plugin needs to look for
>>the programs it's supposed to execute. Feel free to fork the nagiosplug
>>project yourself if you don't like it.
>

> No one's suggesting plugins do dynamic searches. I'm suggesting that the
> settings should live somewhere else than in a library.

The difference of looking for it in a text-file as opposed to doing a
path-wide search is not that large actually. If there are many external
commands the pathwide search would be faster. And again, utils.pm is not
a library, it's a perl-style configuration file.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer