[Nagiosplug-devel] Nagios plugins 1.4 stable or CVS?

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Wed Jun 15 13:19:11 CEST 2005

On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:55:00PM +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> >What would be the recommendation for running Nagios plugins 1.4 on
> >Solaris and linux clients in a production environment?  Are the CVS
> >plugins stable enough?  Or should I stick w/ 1.4?
>
> Oddly enough, the CVS code is much more stable than the 1.4 release. At
> least on i386 Linux, *BSD, HP-UX and Tru64. I don't know about solaris.

this is mostly true, i'd say.  i think the majority of things that have
gone into cvs since 1.4 has come out have not been new features but bug
fixes.  ton: perhaps it's time to do a 1.4.1 release?

> >Are others running CVS plugins in a production environment?

what i tend to do is run the bulk of the 'official' plugins (as provided
by my distribution's nagios-plugins package), and if i stumble across
a particular problem that's fixed in cvs, i compile it, plop it in
/usr/local, and modify my config to use that one instead.

as andreas mentioned, there are going to be some big changes in the
not-too-distant-future that may make this less the case, but for the
meantime if you're already compiling the whole plugin suite from
source i wouldn't worry about using the nagios stuff from CVS HEAD.

	sean