[Nagiosplug-devel] discussion of general plugin framework

sean finney seanius at seanius.net
Sat Jun 25 18:16:01 CEST 2005

hey,

back at the keyboard now...

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 12:07:32AM +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> >		- better support for reading/sending/expecting binary data.
>
> This is fairly simple after all; Just slap on a len variable. If it's
> zero but the pointer to the data is non-null, use strlen() to evaluate
> it. Otherwise use len.

right.

> There should be more functions like this. Gathering a single
> command-line argument is a 4-5 lines of code today. It should be 1 (+
> possibly 1 to deal with failures).

dealing with failures could also have some kind of common and overloadable
approach too, now that you mention it.

> asprintf() is also heavily abused (I've ranted about this earlier). In

yes, and i agree that it should be weaned out as much as possible.

> This is actually a problem I think it would be fairly easy to fix. When
> I was doing a lot of work with check_icmp I called for help from people
> who wanted to use it. I got access (root, even) at no less than 8
> different platforms. It was for a limited time ofcourse, but I don't

such access would be very helpful.  i reached a stopping point with
check_swap on AIX because i lost my access to the last AIX system i
could login on, and got tired of debugging via email with the one
person who was willing to test my source code...

	sean