[Nagiosplug-devel] Re: Re: PluginHelp: php scripts give "Status:404"

Mon Mar 7 01:41:05 CET 2005

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 09:58:51AM +0100, Karim Vaes wrote:
> Anybody an idea how to get php checks working with nagios?

Service checks can be written in any language capable of

1 writing to stdout
2 calling the POSIX exit function.

Have you had a look at the plugin developers guide on the plugins page
on SourceForge ?

All your plugin needs do is

1 check the service somehow
2 report its conclusions to

 2.1 Nagios by calling exit() with the appropriate return code
 2.2 People by outputting some text.

Plugins only really have two problems

1 they don't work from the CLI (check $? and the message) - they just
plain don't work.

2 they don't work when Nagios runs them since the Path is wrong, Perms
are wrong etc

I expect I could write a plugin in MIX or on a (1003.1 compliant) Turing
Machine Simulator; PHP _must_ be easier than these and if it isn't there
are lots of good alternatives.

>From what you have posted, your problem looks like prob 2. UNKNOWN is
the status if

1 your plugin died somehow (eg raised a SEGV, was looping [killed by
Nag])

2 your plugin exited with return code 1 or 3.

Yours sincerely.

--
Stanley Hopcroft

IP Australia